A Military Guide to Renting
My name is Jessica Cameron and I am a Realtor with the Fitzpatrick Team at REMAX. I am a military spouse and rental specialist. I want to talk to you today about what the rental real estate market is like here in Rhode Island, specifically the areas targeted by the military community: Newport, Middletown, Portsmouth, and Jamestown.
Renting in Rhode Island is different from any other duty station we have experienced because the summer tourist season affects the rental market here throughout the entire year. I am hoping that the following information will help you understand the area and guide you in your rental search.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I use a Realtor when searching for a rental?
As your Realtor I can help you navigate this confusing rental market, I can access several online portals to help refine your search, I can reach out to the listing agent on your behalf, set up showings, do video walk throughs, finalize lease details, and help with many other steps along the way. I find this very helpful for the military families that have limited time to search for homes and often need to rent sight unseen.
What does using a Realtor cost?
It is a free service to you as the renter.
Why is the rental market so different in the Newport area?
Because the summer tourist season affects the rental market here throughout the entire year.
What are the different types of rentals?
1. YEARLY & LONG TERM RENTALS
- This is a traditional lease, but in this area, they are the least common
- This lease can start at any time of the year (most frequently in the summer and early fall months)
- Usually unfurnished
2. WINTER & ACADEMIC RENTALS
- These leases start in August or September and end in May or June. They are very common.
- Usually fully furnished, so you may need to get the military to store your HHG
3. SUMMER & SHORT-TERM RENTALS
- These leases start in June, July or August.
- They are for 30 days in Newport or weekly in places like Jamestown
- Fully furnished
- Most expensive rentals
*Summer rentals make it harder for Military families to find affordable housing in the summer months and may delay the move-in date until the property is available for the winter.
When should I start my rental search?
As soon as you receive assignment news, please reach out so we can begin your search.
Do I need to fill out an application?
Yes, I will send you a rental application to fill out. It costs $30 and can be used for any rental that you wish to apply to. You can also use it more than once.
What is due at the signing of a lease?
First month's rent and a security deposit (usually equal to one month's rent).